Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Madame Disraeli

I recently wrote a blog about the Darfur situation based on my reaction to a Ann Coulter piece called " If at First You Don't Appease, Cry Cry Again." Besides having an insipid title, Ms. Coulter's piece stated that the lives being lost to Muslim murderers should mean nothing to Americans, and implied that only soft- headed liberals favored our using force to stop the genocide.

The before mentioned blog was entitled "Ann Coulter Takes On the Micks," and was written as Ms. Coulter's supposed response to the Irish Famine of 1845-1848. Today I found a piece of writing in Robert Blake's Disraeli by its subject that comes eerily close to my Coulter blog.

"You must not mistake her jolly good nature as an evidence of feeling: it is merely the impulse of the Irish blood. Indeed she is so thoroughly a daughter of Erin that I never see her without thinking of a hod of mortar and a potatoe. Nature certainly intended that she should console her sorrows in poteen. . . " (p. 149).

Ah yes, the drunk Irish joke. It goes well with shameless politicos and self appointed conservative spokeswomen. Incidentally, if I ever have cause to mention Ms. Coulter in the future, I will refer to her as " Madame Disraeli."

No comments: