Saturday, October 20, 2018

Alex Holmes on St. Paul's Catholic Church, Macomb Ill.

MAY USE DEADLY POISON GAS IN WAR ON BANDITS

Indianapolis--General use of deadly poison gas in the war on Indiana bank bandits appeared probable today as a result of the unsuccessful attempt of yeggs to rob the Elnora State Bank.  Bandits who broke open the bank vault were driven away by Lewisite gas released when the combination on the safe was smashed.  The gas was contained in small glass tubes concealed in the safe.  A number of banks in the state are already equipped with the anti-burglar gas device and officials of the Indiana Bankers' Association believe it will be generally adopted.  Lewisite was the most deadly gas invented during the World War.

       "I was living on West Carroll street, just north of the church, from October, 1853, until April, 1857.  James Riggins lived in the house on the corner, east of the church, in 1854.  William Harker lived there in 1855.  He was a partner of my father in the carpenter business.
        The Catholic people bought this property near that time.  The old house on the corner was a long, one-story frame house with an ell at the east end running off to the south.  The east and south part was used for parsonage and the west end for church purposes.  I did quite a lot of work on it when Father Ryan had charge of the church.  My dealings were with him and I found him a very genial gentleman in business and socially.  I have been with him in the parsonage and he has been in my home.  There was a hip on the northeast corner.  I did away with that and put a gable on the east end of the main building.  I reroofed it.  The valley on the southwest was copper and as good as new.  I do not know how long ago it was, but over 40 years ago, as I quit the trade when 40.
       I could tell the exact time and what I got for the work, as I have kept a diary for 58 years and could tell every day's work I have done, as I always stated what I was doing each day.
       Before I came to Macomb, which will be 78 years this fall, services were held at Frank McSperritt's, which afterward was the home of Peter Sullivan, his son Timothy living there now. I remember many of the members of 50 to 70 years ago.  In the country were Patrick McGinnis, Peter Crowford, Frank McSperritt, Michael Callahan, James Manning Sr., Patrick Laughlin, John Quinn, John Scott, John Feeney, Michael McGann, Peter Sullivan, Daniel Doran, and James Roark.
       Mr. Roark is well represented by boys and girls in Bushnell and Macomb--doctor, druggist, editor, clothing merchants and trained nurses.
       Here are some of the city:  Terrence McGinnis, Patrick Tiernan Sr., Richard Tobin, the Murphy family, Mrs. Westman, Mrs. Corrigan, Mrs. Rouse, Matthew and James Guiday, Michael Dougherty, Michael Dorgan, the Donovan family, John and Hugh McNamera, Brazzil family, Comer family, McGuire family, James McGunn, the Michael Warren family, and John Simmons.  In giving names of individuals the family is generally included.  No doubt there were members that I did not know.  I also fail to recall some that I knew.  
       A large per cent of the present membership is composed of the descendants of those I have named.  No doubt the church has a record of when the church was built and dedicated, but so many of the outsiders have been guessing, so I thought I would settle that query.
        Rev. J.C. Rybolt, pastor of the M.E. church of Macomb, Ill. united Miss Martha M. Sosman and I in matrimony June 20th, 1867.  She was a member of that church from childhood.  I attended church there with my wife until nine years later, when I united with the church.
       On Sunday, Aug. 11, 1867, Rev. Rybolt was sick and there was no services, morning or evening, so I went over to the consecration or dedication of the new Catholic church.  This is not memory, but a record.  Of the membership of the church at the time of its dedication there are only a very few now living.  I do not know who conducted the consecration ceremony, as I made no record:  it would be only a memory.  I knew many who had charge of this church:  Father Albright was among the earliest I now remember, I could not name those I remember in order and will not try.
       Loyalty is a virtue admired by all good men and women, loyalty to God, to your family, your church, your country, your friends, your school, and to any society to which you may belong.  I am sorry to see exhibitions of disloyalty to all these various positions in life.  I have lived long enough to see that there are good and bad in all churches, families, parties, and among our citizens generally.  I do admire the Catholic people for their reverence in the house of God and for their loyalty to their church."--Alex Holmes

No comments: