Saturday, September 22, 2018

Querying the Dead in Laputa

       "I was chiefly disgusted with modern History.  For having strictly examined all the Persons of greatest Name in the Courts of Princes for a Hundred Years past, I found how the World had been misled by prostitute Writers, to ascribe the greatest Exploits in War to Cowards, the wisest Counsel to Fools, Sincerity to Flatterers, Roman Virtue to Betrayers of their Country, Piety to Atheists, Chastity to Sodomites, Truth to Informers.  How many innocent and excellent Persons had been condemned to Death or Banishment, by the practising of great Ministers upon the Corruption of Judges, and the Malice of Factions.  How many Villains had been exalted to the highest Places of Trust, Power, Dignity, and Profit:  How great a Share in the Motions and Events of Courts, Councils, and Senates might be challenged by Bawds, Whores, Pimps, Parasites, and Buffoons:  How low an Opinion I had of human Wisdom and Integrity, when I was truly informed of the Springs and Motives of great Enterprizes and Revolutions in the World, and of the contemptible Accidents to which they owed their Success.
       Here I discovered the Roguery and Ignorance of those who pretend to write Anecdotes, or secret History;  who send so many Kings to their Graves with a Cup of Poison;  will repeat the Discourse between a Prince and chief Minister, where no Witness was by;  unlock the Thoughts and Cabinets of Embassadors and Secretaries of State;  and true Causes of many great Events that have surprized the World:  How a Whore can govern the Back-stairs, the Back-stairs a Council, and the Council the Senate.   A General confessed in my Presence, that he got a Victory purely by the Force of Cowardice and ill Conduct:  And an Admiral, that for want of proper Intelligence, he beat the Enemy to whom he intended to betray the Fleet.  Three Kings protested to me, that in their whole Reigns they did never once prefer any Person of Merit, unless by Mistake or Treachery of some Minister in whom they confided:  Neither would they do it if they were to live again;  and they shewed with great Strength of Reason, that the Royal Throne could not be supported without Corruption;  because, that positive, confident, restive Temper, which Virtue infused into Man, was a perpetual Clog to publick Business.
       I had the Curiosity to enquire in a particular Manner, by what Method great Numbers had procured to themselves high Titles of Honour, and prodigious Estates;  and I confined my Enquiry to a very modern Period:  However, without grating upon present Times, because I would be sure to give no Offense even to Foreigners, (for I hope the Reader need not be told that I do not in the least intend my own Country in what I say upon this Occasion) a great Number of Persons concerned were called up, and upon a very slight Examination, discovered such a Scene of Infamy, that I cannot reflect upon it without some Seriousness.  Perjury, Oppression, Subornation, Fraud, Pandarism, and the like Infirmities were amongst the most excusable Arts they had to mention;  and for these I gave, as it was reasonable, the Allowance.  But when some confessed, they owed their Greatness and Wealth to Sodomy or Incest;  others to the prostituting of their own Wives and Daughters;  others to the betraying their Country or their Prince;  some to poisoning, more to the perverting of Justice in order to destroy the Innocent:  I hope I may be pardoned if these Discoveries inclined me a little to abate of that profound Veneration which I am naturally apt to pay to Persons of high Rank, who ought to be treated with the utmost Respect due to their sublime Dignity, by us their Inferiors."
Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels, Part Three, Chapter Eight.

No comments: